Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Fishing Trip With Laura's Dad

This last weekend I went on an amazing fishing trip with Laura's dad and some guys from the church here in Roseburg. It was a lot of fun but the only down side was... no fish seems to exist within the waters we dropped our lines. It was a beautiful day though. The lake we went fishing on was called Diamond Lake. It was really gorgeous, it was a shame Laura was not able to be there. Laura was in Portland with her mom and sister for a wedding shower that was thrown by her relatives. So this was Mark and my time to bond. We got up at 5am to get up to the lake and have all day to catch plenty of fish. The thing that scared me the most was that Diamond Lake is in the mountains. When I first got out of the truck, when we reached the lake, it was way colder than I had anticipated. Luckily Mark had seen that I dress a little light and packed an extra jacket and stocking cap for me. As you can see in our first picture, after I received the extra jacket and hat I was good to go. All together, I think there were 21 guys on the trip and we had 5 boats. I did not take us long before we had all of our boats in the water, poles ready, and we set off into the lake.

This is where everything went differently than I had expected. First, the weather was way better than I thought it would have been. In the mater of probably a couple hours, the sun had come out and I had reason to shed my outer jacket. Second, as I mentioned before, no fish were biting. We were out for probably an hour or two before suddenly a pole bounced. Sadly, the source of the bounce vanished just as suddenly. After awhile, we reached a great time of the day. Lunch time! Mark and I dove into the sandwiches that we had made the night before. They were so good! After our good lunches we started to feel tired, seems we were not really being kept awake by the high amount of fish catching that was going on in the boat. So we decided to take some naps. As you can see in the picture, Mark has mastered the skill of keeping his line in the water while resting up a little.

Finally, after a good amount of waiting, I had a fish take the bait on my pole. I woke up, grabbed my pole, and started to reel. The fish actually put up a fight that I was not expecting. After a good game of tug-a-war with the fish we got him... or her... (I don't really know, I just want to be gender inclusive) into the boat. It was the biggest fish I had ever caught in my life. an 18" rainbow trout (You can see it in the last picture). I know that is not really that big but I have only ever caught 12" trout before.

All and all our boat only caught 2 in the entire day. The whole group of guys only caught 7, many boats did not even get a bite from a fish all day, and we were out there from 10am-3pm. It was a really great day and I had a lot of fun with Mark, but I bet he wishes he caught a fish. Anyway, thanks for the good times Mark.

If you would like to see all the pictures from the fishing trip follow this link: http://picasaweb.google.com/LauraRCarpenter/FishingTrip
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Nikki said...

Yeah. I bet dad DID wish he caught a fish. Way to show him up Zach. And prove your manhood. :)